Sunday, February 17, 2008

VTR1000 Honda SuperHawk Is An Excellent V-Twin Sport Bike...For A Niche Market

First off, let's clarify that I DO own a 2000 Superhawk and I ride mine as a daily commuter to and from work. My experiences with this bike are in heavy traffic and highway situations, not as a track bike. So if you're considering a SuperHawk and are interested in learning what it's like to ride it in the real world...read on.

First Impressions?

The looks of the SuperHawk are lean and clean. Not too much fairing to cover up the V-Twin powerplant, but just enough to shroud the twin radiators and provide some paintable surface. This is not a nekked sport bike, and it's not a fully-dressed model, just somewhere in between. Personally, I love the balance and about the only thing I would add from the factory would be a slightly larger (or at least color-matched) belly pan.

So How Does It Sound?

With regards to sound, this bike truly is a V-Twin. If you love the loping sound of the American muscle and want to replicate that in your sport bike, this is IT. If you're into loud bikes, slap on a set of D&D exhaust and you have a bike that will give any Harley a run for its money when it comes to sound. Trust me...I'm not kidding here.

Is It Fast?

When it comes to power, the SuperHawk is positioned in the middle of the pack. With just above 100hp stock, it certainly can't compete with any of the I-4s like the Hayabusa, GSX-R, or CBR. Where it does excel, however, is in the amount of torque the V-Twin produces. In fact, the touchiness of throttle is not only a big bonus with this bike, it can also be a slight downside since letting off the throttle means the bike decelerates VERY quickly and snapping the throttle can take the bike right out from underneath you.

Fast? Off the line, yes. In the long run, not as fast as some of the others.

How About Fuel Mileage?

With giant 48mm carburetors (the largest on any production motorcycle), fuel mileage isn't great. I generally get around 32mpg and I'm pretty light on the throttle. It beats the heck out of my SUV, so I can't complain too much. Are there better mileage bikes? Sure...but none that are this much fun.

How About The Suspension?

The suspension on the SuperHawk is a bit on the soft side. Since it's more aimed at the sport-tourer, street-riding crowd as opposed to the track riders, the suspension is a bit on the squishy side. I will be adding a new set of front springs to reduce a bit of the brake dive, but overall it wasn't enough to keep me from buying the bike.

How Is The Riding Position?

The riding position is aimed at riders who are around 5'8". I am 6'1", so one of the first modifications I made was to add a set of Heli-bars. This raised the bar height a bit and took pressure off my wrists. The position is a bit forward leaning, so the riders' crotch is usually against the back of the tank. For those that like a bit less agressive, Sargent does make a seat that slopes backward slightly.

What About The Motor?

It's a Honda. Take care of it, change the oil frequently and it will take care of you.

Okay...How About The Price?

I have read other reviews that state that the 2000 SuperHawk is overpriced. Personally, I don't think so because it is a bike focused on a niche market. Mainstream crotch-rocket riders aren't looking for a V-Twin, so that reduces the buyers market significantly. Since most track riders aren't looking for a soft-suspension, the buyers market just decreased again. Basically, this bike is aimed at those riders who want a sport bike, want a V-Twin sound, and love the torque produced by the V-Twin. For all that, I bought my 2000 SuperHawk in 2005 with only 10K miles on it for $4,500. Not a bad price in my opinion.

The Final Lowdown

Interested in buying a SuperHawk? Just be aware that you will be buying one of the more unique sport bikes on the market. Everyone and their dog has a Gixxer or a Busa, but very, very few own a SuperHawk and everywhere you go, the roar of the powerplant and the unique loping engine will turn heads.

Once you have selected your new bike, be sure to check out check out my article on maintaining your motorcycle:

Keep Your Motor Running - Tips For Maintaining Your Motorcycle

Ride safe!

http://www.epinions.com/content_226132463236

1 comment:

Elizabeth J. Neal said...

This is just the information I am finding everywhere. Thanks for your blog, I just subscribe your blog. This is a nice blog.. guided motorcycle tours

 
Design By Vick Templates Blogspot @ Tips Collections