Sunday, February 17, 2008

Shake, Rattle, and Roll - My Harley Sportster Experience

Okay motorcycle fans, back again with yet another thrilling review from the world on 2 wheels. This time, I am opening up what can become a real nasty can of worms when it comes to reviews -- by giving a less-than-stellar review of a Harley-Davidson. You see, the following review points out some of the true pros and cons of the product and the cons are often perceived as brand-bashing by some readers who are blinded by their brand-loyalty.

So before you start spouting off comments like "anyone who doesn't love everything Harley must be anti-American" (yes...these comments occur ALL the time in motorcycle forums) just keep in mind, that I pretty much love anything on 2 wheels and the purpose of this site is give the good and the bad. So let's keep the comments constructive and keep the brand-bashing comments to yourselves.

Now...on with the review!

A Little Bit About My Sporty

I actually owned my Sporty for a very short time. Having owned a lot of metric bikes, it seemed like a good idea to try my hand at a Harley and see how I liked one. An opportunity came along when a relative, who owned the bike, wasn't able to ride it anymore and he passed it along to me for a steal. A Harley at a great price, can't pass that up..right?

First Impressions

First impressions were that this was just about the most top-heavy bike I had every ridden. Keep in mind that the Sportster was designed as a track bike originally, so it's quite a different style than the lower-slung Softails and Dynas. Instead, the Sportster is a very tall bike that you really have to sling your leg over the saddle to get on.

Being tall and top heavy has a distinct disadvantage if you live in an area that is windy. Not only does the added height expose you to more wind, but at stoplights, don't even think about taking your hands off the bars. A good gust can put you off balance and with the high center of gravity, can spell disaster if the bike starts to tip.

In addition, if you're considering a used Sportster, start hitting they gym and work those forearms. The Sportster has the stiffest clutch of any bike I have ridden and after an hour in stop and go traffic, I thought my wrist was going to fall off! OUCH!!

The 883 does make quite a bit of power, however, and was a lot of fun to ride once you get past the clutch. The clutch issue did make stop and go traffic a pain, but it was a much nicer ride on the highway.

So How About Maintenance?

I only had the Sporty for a summer, and maintenance was pretty typical of any bike. Change the oil, check the belt and adjust the wheel, and keep air in the tires.

I did find, however, that I spent an extra 20 minutes each week going over the bike and tightening down loose bolts. The worst were the mirrors. The vibrations from the solid-mounted V-Twin loosened the mirror bolts and nothing short of blue lock-tite would keep them in place. I'd be riding down the highway putting along and the next thing you know, my mirror is spinning around because the vibrations loosened the bolt again.

I was a bit wary that these vibrations could also be loosening something a bit more crucial than the mirror. Fortunately, I never had to find out.

Be aware, however, that owning a Sporty will require some extra caution on your part when going over your bike weekly and tightening down loose parts.

What About The Ride?

The ride was great! It takes a bit getting used to the geometry of the Sportster since it is top-heavy, but once you're off and running, the 883 has plenty of power and is actually a really nimble bike. It cornered nicely for a tall sport/cruiser and opening up the throttle really resulted in nice throttle response.

How About Fuel Mileage and Range?

Not some of the best features of the Sportster. I used my 883 as a commuter bike, riding about 35 miles each way to work. Unfortunately, I only got around 30 miles to the gallon, which is low for a motorcycle. Also, the small "peanut" tank limited my range and I found myself having to refuel every 90 miles. At only 3.5 gallons in the tank, it really isn't a long range bike.

What about comfort?

Well, I guess that depends on how you like vibrations. For me, the comfort factor just wasn't very good. The clutch issue made for sore arms, the vibrations made for a sore back, and the riding position isn't suitable for really long distance trips. Yeah, yeah....I know it sounds whiney, but let's be realistic. If you're looking for a comfortable bike, the Sporty aint it.

So Is It A Good Starter Bike?

No. Talk to anyone out there is a hard-core Sporty fan and they will tell you that it takes a unique set of skills to handle one of these beasts and they are not for beginner riders. Just because the Sportster is Harley's smallest bike, doesn't mean that it's suitable for someone who is just getting started. In fact, Harley recently recognized this when they finally decided to rubber-mount the motor (resulting in reduced vibrations), increase the size of the fuel tank, and change the geometry to lower the bike. They realize that people were treating the Sporty as an entry level bike and decided to modify the bike to be more suitable. If, however, you are looking at a used Sportster, be aware that they are not great for starter bikes. Pick up something that is easier to handle (not to mention easier to pick up) and then move up to the Sporty once you have some miles under your belt.

What About Accessories?

Accessories for the Sportster abound. Whether it's flames, skulls, or whatever your style, you can trick out your Sporty with accessories from all the major manufacturers.

What About The Resale Value

As I said, I got mine at a real steal of a price and I passed that steal along to the guy who bought it from me. However, if you're looking to buy a Sportster as an investment...especially an older model, think again. The new Sportsters are driving down the value of the solid-mounted Sporties, and while they keep their value better than metrics, they don't do as well as the bigger Harleys like the FatBoys and Springers.

The Final Lowdown

Having owned one, I will say that I wouldn't buy another. Also, I really don't recommend the Sporty to anyone but another biker who had significant miles under their belt and really understands the concept of a solid-mounted motor and the vibrations it creates and the maintenance that comes with it.

The bike was a lot of fun once you got past the points above, but if I had a spare chunk of change for another Harley, I think I'd rather spend the extra cash and look for a Softail or a Dyna.

Once you have selected your new bike, be sure to check out check out my article on maintaining your motorcycle:

Keep Your Motor Running - Tips For Maintaining Your Motorcycle

Ride safe!

http://www.epinions.com/content_233460043396

No comments:

 
Design By Vick Templates Blogspot @ Tips Collections